Sunday, June 25, 2017

Discussion n. 18: An isolated community?

This topic came up while I was reading Hazel's essay. (See below.)
 
Yes, there is strength in community but the flip side is that it leads to isolation and a rejection of other tribes. for instance, it was only in the 60s - 70s that Italians started marrying regularly outside of their tribe: mostly with Irish (also catholic.) It's only in the last 20 years that they started marrying Hispanics.
 
At the bottom I posted the link to a homemade video that explains a lot without even realizing it.
 
Task 3 (TOPIC: How have your reactions changed? What kind of expectations do you have now? What is still missing in order to give depth to the picture that is beginning to emerge from the texts?):

I honestly never thought much about Italian culture or history (...)   But since this is a course about Italian Americans, I will admit that I would never expect that Italians suffered the way that they have. They also have such a rich history in terms of their contributions to America that they do not get credit for. I thought that they came to America and right off the back started opening businesses. The only stereotypes I had of Italians was their good food, strong family bonds, and wealth in America. I've never met an Italian that didn't own a business. And I've met quite a few. Now I'm curious to know how they changed their circumstance over the decades. I admire the Italian spirit. They adapt and do anything that they can while pushing themselves to the limit to have a decent standard of living. I propose like any group that's oppressed, the Italian community recognized itself over any other. When this happens, you have a group of people that benefit from isolation and segregation by opening mom and pop shops and progressing from foremen to landlords. Eventually, one makes the decision to support their own by shopping at their brethren, and renting only to their brethren. This naturally creates an economic hub (...) 
I would like to know how the Italians faired against such forces. Did they hold marches, peaceful protests, or formed organizations for the rights of those of Italian descent? I also would like to know what Italy looks like today. Are the same dehumanizing traditions set in place?

 
and if you are hungry (you can't make up stuff like this, shape of bodies included)    CONCETTA COOKING
 
COMMENTS?

5 comments:

  1. From what I have learned about Italian immigrants is that they were in a way forced to become a community and to stick to their own kind. When they first came to america they faced discrimination and many hardships that made their lives difficult. Coming to America, they had no idea that this was what they were in for, this made them stick to a community and stick to their roots. I agree that community can cause isolation, but at the same time community gives them safety. My expectations for future readings/films will be to see how Italians' image was changed from being so discriminated to being so loved and looked at as people with great family values (sunday dinner.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on what we have read, it seems that when Italians immigrated, they only reached out and sought out to other Italians. They only trusted their own kind. They trusted that those who came before them had it figured out and had connections. They trusted that, especially if you're a paesano, you will always help out your people. From my understanding, Italians stuck together in their neighborhood. They formed neighborhoods! As the video discusses, they formed their own functioning community within each other. They never needed to depend on "America" or "Americans." They bought and sold to one another. Through this, I feel that they developed strength and built large families. With a large web of connections, they felt a power they knew other non-Italians didn't have.

    And as a side note: I am an Italian and relate a lot to the "Growing Up Italian" video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kara, when you mention that Italians only sought out other Italians when they immigrated, don't you think that could have been in major a part because of the language barrier? As D'Angelo describes in "Son of Italy," it was near impossible for him to explain to the store owner that he wants some eggs. He acted out in all sorts of weird ways until the store owner's wife understood his request.

      Delete
  3. I think that an isolated community, as the professor mentions, leads to a rejection of other tribes. Talking from personal experience, my parents like to shop at Pakistani grocery stores because at these particular stores, they can find all the ingredients typically used in Pakistani foods. Furthermore, all their friends are Pakistani. As a result, any time they meet a friend of mine, typically of a different race, they make fun of them. I will not lie. My parents discriminate against other races. However, it is possible to change this. What needs to be done to bring about a change is that my parents need to be exposed to other races on a daily basis. Thankfully, this change is now occurring. After fourteen years in this country (even more for my dad), we have moved out of a Pakistani neighborhood. We now reside in a diverse neighborhood. As a result, my parents' friend group is evolving from a homogenous Pakistani community to a more diverse community inclusive of all races. I am so proud to see this change in my parents.

    I think it takes time for all immigrants to step out of their comfort zone. When you first immigrate to America, you are already experiencing such a big change in environment and language, even if you are residing in communities concentrated with the race you resonate with. It is difficult to accept these changes. It is necessary to allow these immigrants time to assimilate.

    Although I am not Italian, I can identify with the Growing Up Italian video. My family too somehow managed to purchase a house, though doing so put us in even greater debt. Our family here also grew apart. We just had a holiday two days ago, during which we all used to gather together and have a feast. However, this year, we didn't gather. Everyone was busy in their own lives. I too was completing work for my classes. As the narrator says his children will never get to know "the joy of growing up Italian," I too believe my future kids will never get to know how wonderful our Pakistani heritage is, at least not if I stay in the US. I think the US is made out to be much more than it really is. True life, enjoyable life, is back home, back in Pakistan. Traditions and culture die here in America.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Traditions and culture die here in America" said Rabia. Thats what I have learned also, that America peels you of your individuality and in order to be American and appreciated you must be plain and conform into the traditions native to this land. Where you come from no longer matters here, people to this day will yell at you "this is America, we don't do that here". So why is it? it is because it is too hard for Americans to try to understand so many other diversities, it is a certain laziness that allows for one to just say listen you came here so you go with what I know not the other way around. But as the days go on America must conform anyway, official language doesn't exist and more jobs then ever are looking for bilingual speakers because today more than ever we have people here who are of different culture. We are conforming to do business and trade, we are conforming to sell to people and we are conforming to make the days a little easier. Now with that conformity there is also a resistance, like the muslim ban but that too shall past. Because in grade school to be American they taught you acceptance, there was no turning your back on others, there was no verifying who belongs here and who doesn't, people were people so lets go back to that theory. Let people be people.

    ReplyDelete