Monday, June 19, 2017

Technical suggestions, your opinion and an observation

  • When you realize your comments run several lines long, it would be best to break them up with line breaks. It helps the reader follow your train of thoughts, pauses and all.

  • Please review before posting. Don't run sentences together, use good punctuation and capitalize letters.

  • I tend to stay out of discussions. If I see something that deserves a comment on my part, I send an email. So far it has worked fine. Is it the way you want it or do you expect that I interject my view?
  • When we met in person, I mentioned that I never teach the same class twice because every class (little tribe that they are) is different.

    Case in point, the discussion on SON and in particular your collective interpretation of the Vampire: your comments are steering the entire course in a certain direction, and I will follow along, reordering the materials and re-defining the major boundaries.

    I will try to keep challenging your perspective so as to encourage you to provide the best possible arguments for you interpretations, always hoping that you will suddenly come to a realization that is in conflict with your starting point.

2 comments:

  1. I would rather the professor also interject his view. I feel as if that will allow us all to get an insight into the professor's way of thinking.

    I have heard from several professors that they change the syllabus throughout the semester to better fit their students' needs. That has always sparked my curiosity. If I ever get a chance to teach, I would love to experience this difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In other classes I've taken where the class was responsible to post or blog online, the professor usually started the discussion off and then the class took over, similar to how it's being done here. I think this method helps the professor seem more neutral, so no one feels as if the professor thinks their opinion is wrong and changes what they say to fit that. Obviously, if a discussion gets too heated or crosses lines, the professor can step in, but generally I think that the professor not commenting kind of enables everyone to express their true opinions, and come up with arguments or counterarguments on their own.

    ReplyDelete